Search Frugal Girl Glamour

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Eyebrow Care & Tweezing

I wanted to find a quote from one of the Princess Diaries books for this post, but I'm having zero luck finding it online! </3 Anyhoo, I'm going to do my best to share it with you from memory, haha.

Paolo (the hilarious hair and makeup artist who, I assume, everyone else loves, too) is explaining the importance of groomed eyebrows and elaborates by saying something along the lines of, "They say your eyes are windows into the soul. If that is the case, your eyebrows are the curtains to the windows of your soul. You don't want ugly curtains that look like they come from J. C. of Penny, do you?"

I got a kick out of it, and figured y'all might, too. ;D

If you want to look your best, having neat and tidy eyebrows is a must. Some women are lucky enough to naturally have great brows—while others have to manipulate theirs into greatness. ;) The way you shape your eyebrows is what can make your look one-of-a-kind and can also completely change the "mood" of your makeup, so to speak. Everyone associates Audrey Hepburn with her cropped hair, big doe-eyes, and (of course) her bold, "boyish," brows. Deciding what your brow style will be becomes much easier when you're not terrified that you'll mess them up, right? Lucky for you, Frugal Girl Glamour has rushed to your aid!




Even if I don't have time to do makeup before I go out, I always make time to tidy up my brows and fill them in. It's comparable to taking a shower for me, haha.

Tweezing is, by far, the cheapest way to go when it comes to creating perfect brows. I am presenting this tutorial to you because I spent years and years trying to get it right; over and over again! I'm hoping that I can keep beginners from making the same mistakes that I did for so long. :)

Supplies Needed:



  • Slanted Tweezers
  • Nail Scissors (or any other small scissors you can find)
  • White Eyeliner
  • Eyeliner to Match Brows
  • Clear Mascara/Brow Gel
  • Angled Eyeshadow Brush
  • Eyeshadow/Powder to Match Brows (if you dislike using a pencil)


Not Featured, but Helpful:

  • Brow Razor
  • Brow/Lash Comb
  • Brow Stencils (e.l.f. sells a kit full of 'em for a dollar!)

I pin all of the beauty supplies I use on my Frugal Girl Glamour boards on Pinterest.

Bonus Tips!

If you're blind as a bat, like me, wear contacts if you have them. Glasses get in the way!

Begin with a clean face. If you find that you have trouble gripping the hairs because your skin is very oily—and washing makes your skin produce excess sebum—apply a pressed powder or a little corn starch over the area to let it absorb the oil. Wipe off with a damp cloth before tweezing.

Remember that less is more. Your brows will grow back, but you also have to live with crooked/mismatched/over-tweezed eyebrows for a few weeks.

Step away from the mirror frequently to check that your brows match, and that you're not going overboard.

I have heard that you can apply a little Orajel, in order to numb the area that you're tweezing, but I've never tried it. I found that the pain is something you get used to over time, anyway.

You can rub some witch hazel or lavender oil on your skin after tweezing to soothe the tender areas. They will both help reduce redness as well.

If you dye your hair bright colors, it's really eye catching to fill in your eyebrows in that shade! Don't be afraid to give it a try. :)




You definitely don't have to follow all of these steps every time you tweeze (especially if you maintain your brows regularly) but this is the easiest way I have found to shape my brows without making mistakes.

I apologize in advance for the air conditioner running in the background and my greasy hair! I was working on my No 'Poo post/video at the same time, so I let my hair get filthy in order to prove how well the method does clean your hair. :)



Please comment, share, and let me know what you like and dislike!

-Sadia xoxo

Sources of Images Featured:

Marilyn Monroe (Cropped & Modified)
Classic Eyebrows
Colored Brows by Anisha

No comments:

Post a Comment